Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Slow performance after harware upgrade

herrix

This topic is 6877 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi there, hope anyone can help...

After a hard and software upgrade to Windows2003 SBS server and Terminal Server 2003, the Filemaker Files are running SLOWLY... 'Open file' script steps seem to take ages!

Hardware: 2 dual proc. 2GBram servers, one running TS server, one running FileMaker server 5.5. It used to run fine on W2000 server, nog its hopeless.

Software: Server 5.5 win, Client 5 win, All clients run through RDP

Already checked:

-File references - directly to file on server

-Shortcuts on desktop on (ts)desktops - fmp5://192.168.10.10/file.fp5

-Opening non-fm files - works fine

-No errors in app log. / server log

-Server 5.5 settings: 40Megs cache, 125 files allowed, host single user files

What did happen: the FileMaker server got renamed, but IP did'n change. is that my source of all the trouble?

I'm losing my hair...

Herrix

Hi, h! Hmm... I'm trying to remember previous posts about this same thing... people upgrade to newer, faster, servers and they get reduced performance instead of increased speed. I know FM performance on old machines is relatively good, but I've read about similar problems on both Mac and Win platforms. I think one of the admins (Stephen?) mentioned that FileMaker benefits more from fast hard drives than fast CPUs, but something else must be going on in your case.

When scripts execute, some steps use the "restore" feature... maybe this is slowing things down? If you'd like to work from copies, maybe re-doing the "restore" items (or "replace" them) will help? I dunno. I think you'd have to do that on each client, though, and that'd be a pain and not worth it unless you know that's it for sure.

As to the renaming, that'd be easy to test and I think worth your while just to see, eh?

Hope it works out!

--ST

This topic is 6877 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.