Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Merge Fields on Buttons

This topic is 6865 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Sometimes I like to use merge fields on buttons to indicate the state of something. For instance I might have a calculated field that stays one jump ahead of the actual status. When the actual status is "Draft" the button would say "Open" and when the actual status was "Open" the button would say "Close".

I also like to name the fields with fairly descriptive names for obvious reasons. In the example above I would name the field something like: Status_Button_Label

When I place the merge field on the button it turns into this: <> or worse yet <>.

In the example all of my field values are 5 characters but the field name is 23 characters. The way FM behaves right now is that the button can be no smaller than the merge field so I end up having this huge button. Much bigger than necessary and it makes the solution look bush league.

As a workaround I will sometimes name the field "a" so the merge field looks like "<>". It works but goes against my grain.

Not a big problem but it would be nice if the folks at FMI figured something out.

This topic is 6865 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.