Server Maintenance This Week. ×

linking two or more fields with fields from another table

This topic is 6761 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

In MS access you can imbed one table into another table and link maximum of three fields in the parent table to three fields in the imbedded table so when you input data into one field it enter the link field as well. You can also hide the link fields in the imbedded table so the operator cannot not see what is happening. I would like to see FM have this capability.

Lionel

Edited by Guest

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi Bailey

MS Access will let you inbed a table into another table which would be a portal in FM but MS access will aloow you to connect three fields in the main table with three fields in the inbedded table and when you enter the information in the main table the information is enter into the embeed table fields. You do not have to make an portal or a lookup. This is done for you by MS acces . I have found this feature useful.

Thanks

I think you need to switch to FMP7 or 8 if you want to link multiple fields via a relationship.

For example, I have invoice line-items linked by date, customer number, invoice number and type (I use the same transaction table for receipts and invoices) As soon as I enter one other piece of data into a blank portal row a record is created with all of these field values in place, and of course if one of them is missing I get nothing!! (well an error message)

I don't know how access works but it sounds as if you are saying that a record in the embedded table is created as soon as you enter one of the main fields in the outer table - not quite the same thing.

This topic is 6761 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.