Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Accessing FM on a network through the web

merkaba22

This topic is 6837 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

This is probably just a case of ignorance but I really did not know who to turn to for this solution.

I have FM on a server with clients on a MacOSX network that has internet access through a dsl modem using DHCR -- how can I set up my internet for an outside sales person, for example, to access the database from a computer elsewhere; ie. from another location outside the in-house office network?

Assuming you have a firewall box running NAT, (Which you should have, and a static IP address from your ISP) then you need to set up port forwarding for port 5003 to the internal address of your server.

At the client side in the hosts dialog you can then use your external IP address as the host and it *should* just work.

There are security implications when it comes to publishing servers so you may want to take additional steps to harden your network or even set up a DMZ.

Hey thanks -- I have a dynamic IP Verizon modem that goes into an airport -- that's the issue. Sorry, it was late last night when I posted.

Eventually, I will go with a static IP and then port forwarding through 5003 wil be great .... but until then, is there a solution?

BTW: What's a DMZ?

I don't think the airport firewall supports port forwarding, but I might be wrong, you'll have to check, or maybe someone else here can.

I use these

http://www.draytek.com/product/wlan_adsl/vigor2600g/vigor2600g.php

There are cheaper products around but for the sake a few quid I really rate them.

A dynamic IP address is a problem as it changes every time you connect. I dunno about verizon, but over here most ISPs force disconnection regularly, and your IP lease will run out every few days. This makes it difficult for your outside guys because the address they need to connect to and enter in the host dialog, will change on a regular basis.

There are workarounds, such as dynDNS, but I don't recomend them for serious business use.

A DMZ is a Demilitarised Zone. An area between two firewalls, for published servers.

Internet => Firewall => Published servers => Firewall => Your Network.

If you were to do that properly you'd also need to look at the seperation model so only the presentation layer was on a server in the DMZ and the data was on a server inside your network.

Probably (I say probably, read disapearing up my own paranoid arse : )a bit OTT if all your doing is publishing 1 FM server on a Mac, but I would make sure that nothing more than FM server was running on that machine and that you check regularly for patchs at FM and OS level regularly.

Good luck, and just ask if you need any more help.

Edited by Guest

This topic is 6837 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.