Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Custom menus not sticky?

Cable

This topic is 6795 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Yesterday, I started experimenting with custom menus. I created a menu that I wanted everyone but me to use and set it as the default menu for the file.

I then set the open script to set the [standard filemaker menus] as the menu set if anyone with full access logs in.

That works just fine, and I get the regular menus.

The problem is that as soon as I navigate or run a scipt, the menu set reverts to the default menu set. Is this a bug or am I doing something wrong?

Update:

This only happens when the called script navigates layouts. It appears to have nothing to do with permissions. If anything, running a script with full acces granted should switch me over to the standard menu, which isn't happening.

No, that isn't it either, but may be related to the problem.

The custom menu should be used for everybody except me. When I log in, I want the regular menu set for me on every layout. Everyone else will get the custom one regardless of layout.

So, I'm guessing that since each layout is set to the default, it overrides the "install menu set" command. That's not helpful at all! I'dd have to set a navigation script for every layout and tie the "install menu set" command into the script to check for the users privilege set every time.

There has to be a way to tell it to leave the currently installed menu set regardless of what layout you're on. I can't believe that you'd be unable to use "go to layout" buttons.

• 2 weeks later...

With Custom Menus, when you create a layout it is automatically set to use the FileMaker default menu set for the file. If, in Define Custom Menus, you have set the default to your custom menu then every time you change the layout FileMaker will re-apply the default, ie: your custom menu set.

There is a way round this using a script. On startup you check for which user is logging in (guess your doing this already) and then run the appropriate 'Install Menu Set' script step. However what you must do is check the 'Use As File Default' box. Thereafter all layouts will now use whatever you have set - Standrad FileMaker menus for you and your custom set for all other users.

Hope this helps.

This topic is 6795 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.