Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Relationship Problem

This topic is 8645 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

what i'm trying to do is have an employee database and an invoice database what i want to do on the invoices is just select the employee name from a list and then have all the other date be entered automaticly from the employee database. i've tried all the thing in the filemaker help but i couldnt get them to work.

Hi RealtyIntern,

The problem may be as simple as the field that you have your relation set on. Let me take this through the steps.

In one database we have employees, let's call it EMP. Inside EMP you have the following fields: E_Name, E_Phone, E_Fax (we'll use three fields to keep it simple)

The other database has invoices, let's call it INV. Inside INV you have the following fields: I_Number, I_Date, I_Name (do you see the related field? wink.gif)

Inside of INV you create your layout and you place the three fields.

Click on FILE and go to Define Relationships...

Click on NEW and select EMP as the related database.

Click on OPEN.

On the left side of the window you will see the field list for INV (I_Number, I_Date, I_Name) the right window has the list for EMP (E_Name, E_Phone, E_Fax).

In the left window select I_Name.

In the right window select E_Name.

Click OK.

The new relationship will be in the list and may look like this:

EMP I_Name=::E_Name EMP.fpx

Now go back to your layout in INV. Select INSERT and then click on FIELD in the drop down list. On the SPECIFY FIELD screen you will see the database name (or relation name) at the top. At the end of the line is an upside down triangle. Click on that and you should see the EMP relationship created earlier. Click on EMP.

The list of fields from the EMP database should now be displayed. Click on the field you want, like E_Phone, and click on OK.

Do the same for the other field, E_Fax.

Don't worry - almost done! laugh.gif

Now that your fields are placed and your relationship is made, it's time to set up the pull down list.

Click on FORMAT and select Field Format.

Under STYLE select POP-UP LIST.

At the end of the line it asks for the value list. Click on the down arrow and select DEFINE VALUE LISTS.

Click on NEW and give the list a name at the top of the window. (E_Name List)

Click on USE VALUE FROM FIELD.

At the top of the window is a place for you to specify the database. Click on SPECIFY FILE.

Select EMP.fpx and click OPEN. The field list from EMP is now displayed.

In the left window select E_Name and click OK.

Click OK again. Then click DONE. Then click OK.

Switch to Browse mode and click on the I_Name field and the EMP list should appear. When you select a name from the list the E_Phone and E_fax fields will fill in with the associated information. cool.gif

The linking field is I_Name.

I know there's a lot here. Try it and let me know how it goes. E-mail me if you need to.

Good Luck.

Steve

This topic is 8645 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.