Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Tooltip display shortcut keys on Mac

Reed

This topic is 6794 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi,

Just got my copy of FMP 8 Advanced today, and I'm messing with custom menus and tooltips...

Here is the tooltip calculation I'm using to show what the shortcut would be for a specific button

Case(Get ( SystemPlatform )="-1";"Print Sample Label (Cmd+option+P)";

Get ( SystemPlatform )="-2";"Print Sample Label (Ctrl+Alt+P)";

)

Does anyone know how to display the characters for Cmd and Option keyboard modifiers as they display on macintosh menus? I can't seem to find those characters to type them into the calc dialog.

Thanks in advance,

Dana

In Mac OS X Use the Character Palette. If this isn't enabled, open the International System Preference, click Input Menu tab, then check Character Palette. I find it useful to also check the Character Viewer. At the bottom, click Show input menu in menu bar.

Go into any app that can be typed into, then drag the input menu down to Show Character Palette. Set the View popup to All Characters. Expand Symbols in the left panel and select Technical Symbols. The command and option are in there. Set the Collections popup under Font Variation to Containing selected character. Normally you'd choose a font all Macs will have. Since Tooltips don't have font options (to my knowledge...), the choice won't matter, except being able to see it while entering the string. I'd choose Lucida Grande. Then click the Insert button to palce the character in the app.

On my Mac, the font used for tooltips properly displays the command and option keys, although they are a bit small.

This topic is 6794 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.