Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Repeating field in Portal

MIT

This topic is 8582 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Hi to all,

I'm a fairly new user in FM Pro 4.x. I've create a db ,with typical fields-date ,qty, product,cost,ex-cost,sub ttl,etc.

The Qty,Product,Cost are set as repeated field, so it holds 3-4 lines of entries in one record. These record are identify by MPO#, and being organize by Job# so in one Job# would have multiples Mpo#. I've match (Job#) which is not a repeated field for a look up . My problem is that, when I link the data through portal with Qty

Product and Cost. I've set these field as repeated field inside the portal and it seem that these records are overlap eachother. For example, The 1st line of the 1st entry of the 1st record is fine but the 2nd line of the 1st record is overlap by the 1st line of 2nd record, and so on. Does anyone ever encounter this problem? or Does anyone has good solutions?

Thx

quote:

Originally posted by MIT:

Hi to all,

I'm a fairly new user in FM Pro 4.x. I've create a db ,with typical fields-date ,qty, product,cost,ex-cost,sub ttl,etc.

The Qty,Product,Cost are set as repeated field, so it holds 3-4 lines of entries in one record. These record are identify by MPO#, and being organize by Job# so in one Job# would have multiples Mpo#. I've match (Job#) which is not a repeated field for a look up . My problem is that, when I link the data through portal with Qty

Product and Cost. I've set these field as repeated field inside the portal and it seem that these records are overlap eachother. For example, The 1st line of the 1st entry of the 1st record is fine but the 2nd line of the 1st record is overlap by the 1st line of 2nd record, and so on. Does anyone ever encounter this problem? or Does anyone has good solutions?

Thx

My first suggestion would be to keep away from repeating fields. Repeating fields are a legacy carryover from pre-FMP3 days, which FileMaker wasn't relational.

It sounds like you have some sort of order system. Try doing it with a separate file for Orders and for Line Items. If you have products or services, make that a separate file. Create a relationship from Orders to Line Items and from Line Items to Orders (using an OrderID that uniquely identifies each record in Orders) and a relationship from Products to Line Items and from Line Items to Products (using a ProductID). Then you can have as many line items associated with a single order as you want.

Chuck

• Newbies

Chuck,

Thx for your advice, I've found a way around the repeating field per your suggestion. I've deleted all of my repeated field and everywork just fine

(for now anyway)

Thx again

Mit

This topic is 8582 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.