Server Maintenance This Week. ×

sliding empty portal rows

ivyorg

This topic is 8513 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi. I have an athletic scheduling database of 7 sports for an athletic conference. Each contest has its own record, and I'm using a self-join relationship w/ the date to summarize all contests by date. Using sub-summary by date and portals for each sport, I can get an okay table:

DATE

Fball Men's Soccer Men's CC

COR@Y

B@H

COR@Y

B@H

The problem is that each record has a total calculation field for Teams 1 and 2 that generate the A@B. It also has a sport field. Finally, there are calculation fields for each sport-->fball: case(sport=fball, total)

That's how I get the contest to appear under the correct sport heading. However, for each sport that doesn't have a contest on a given date, an empty field appears. Therefore, the portal shows up empty, instead of sliding up. That's why in the diagram above, the contests are staggered. How can I elimate the portal from showing (and then printing) these extra rows? Sliding only reduces completely empty rows, for example I can see 10 rows, but if there are only 5 total contests on a day, the last 5 rows slide.

Thanks.

Bevin

Portals do not print well. If you want to print related information, you are better off creating a script that finds the info you want to print in the related file & print it in the related file. This will allow you to control what shows up on the page & will allow you to better layout your printable page.

I hope this is helpful.

Later,

Paul :-)

• 4 weeks later...

Well, I'm still trying to resist relating to another database because of a couple of restraints. Most importantly, I'm going to hopefully be making a Developer stand-alone edition of the database for member institutions, and it'll get more confusing with more databases.

However, I think that if someone can solve this problem, I can fix the whole thing anyways. The GIANT problem is that I have an equation which states: if sport=football, total[this is a field which represents the matchup of the two teams]. By having one of these equations for each sport, I am then able to have a subsummary by date, then list all matchups for each sport on each date in separate columns. BUT...when the sport doesn't equal "football," instead of it becoming an empty portal which can slide, it becomes filled with nothing and doesn't slide. There is a subtle difference here which is screwing me up.

For example, there might be ten contests on 9/22/2001. There are three of three different sports and one of football. So, I have ten entries in the database. When I display the portals for 9/22/2001, and set it to slide for empty portal rows, each sport has ten empty entries, even though there's no matchup for that space.

If anyone needs more info to help me out, I'd be glad to elaborate or share my database. Thanks a lot.

Bevin

This topic is 8513 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.