Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Slow relationships

arochford

This topic is 8523 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Hi,

I am attempting to develop again in Filemaker after not using it for awhile. I have a demo version 4.0 that I am using to see if FIlemaker can fulfil my needs before I buy developer. My concern however is speed. I have several files in the solution one of them being an Inventory file which is linked to a purchase file and an inventory use file. Therefore through relationships and a calculation field I am updating what the inventory level should be. I am concerned about speed when more records are placed in the file. I seem to remember that the more records the slower the refresh when moving through the file. Should I try to update the level of inventory via a script and a trigger everytime I leave a field or what? I am concerned that filemaker cannot meet my needs to build a robust application but I want to use this instead of Access and VB becuase it is cross platform and ease of use.

Thanks.

I have an application with 24 related files. Some of the primary files have around 60,000 records. There are no noticable speed problems at this size. However there are certain summary/calculation fields which can create speed problems if you include them in layouts on large files. So, you have to watch out for those.

I can't compare Filemaker to Access, because my experience with Access lasted only one hour--long enough to know that I never wanted to see it again.

[This message has been edited by BobWeaver (edited January 04, 2001).]

• Newbies

quote:

Originally posted by BobWeaver:

However there are certain summary/calculation fields which can create speed problems if you include them in layouts on large files. So, you have to watch out for those.

Could you give me examples of some of those summary/calculations which create speed problems. It is heartening to know that there are files out there with such large record sets

When you have calculated fields which use the GetSummary() function, or any summary field on a layout where you are likely to have a very large found set of records displayed, these fields will recalculate after doing a find or a sort operation. Therefore it is a good idea to display these fields only on layouts where you are likely to have only a small found set of records or else on larger report layouts that you don't use too often. On some of the layouts in the system that I maintain, with this many records some of the summary functions take about 5 seconds each to re-calculate. This is running mostly on older PowerMacs, not G3's or G4's. It's a bit of a judgement call. With only one summary field on a layout, it may not be a big deal. If you have 10 summary fields on a layout it can take a minute to update. However, that is something that can be minimized with careful design. I wouldn't let that scare you away from using Filemaker.

This topic is 8523 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.