Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Joining Joinfiles

Schlieper

This topic is 8504 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Hi there,

Just started using FMP5 and I hope to get some help on the next one.

I have two different files (let's say: file 1 and 2) joined in a joinfile (file A). I did the same with two other files (file 3 and file 4, joinfile :, so far no problem.

Now I'd like to join file A and file B, but then I get a message that the relationship I used is based on a calculation, and therefore the relationship won't work.

Although I defined my relationships purely on unique ID's of files 1,2,3,4.

Hope I explained my problem clearly enough and I hope that somebody can help me on this?

Thanks in advance.

quote:

Originally posted by Schlieper:

Hi there,

Just started using FMP5 and I hope to get some help on the next one.

I have two different files (let's say: file 1 and 2) joined in a joinfile (file A). I did the same with two other files (file 3 and file 4, joinfile :, so far no problem.

Now I'd like to join file A and file B, but then I get a message that the relationship I used is based on a calculation, and therefore the relationship won't work.

Although I defined my relationships purely on unique ID's of files 1,2,3,4.

Hope I explained my problem clearly enough and I hope that somebody can help me on this?

Thanks in advance.

The concept of a "join" is at a higher level than the database system understands. You are setting up a relationship between 2 files, plain and simple.

Look at the 2 fields that you are relating. Are they indexed fields? If not, you are looking at a problem.

------------------

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Kurt Knippel

Consultant

Database Resources

mailto:[email protected]

http://www.database-resources.com

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

If you need to join two join files, you really need to revamp your database structure. There is probably another (better) way to structure your solution. Relationships can't be based upon related fields. You'll need to take a different approach. -bd

This topic is 8504 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.