Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Real Checklist using auto-enter formatting

This topic is 6775 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

FileMaker doesn't offer a checkbox that actually holds a check...instead it puts an x in the box. FM7 & above's text formatting feature allows users to enter a real check into a field.

Personally, I find the appearance of colored checks (especially in lists) more graphically appealing than just "Yes" or "No" text values.

I hope someone finds this helpful.

RealCheck.zip

Absolutely!

1.) Enter the Wingding character itself when in Find Mode. This can be facilitated by copying the checkmark to the clipboard prior to entering Find Mode, then pasting and Performing Find.

2.) Enter "@" into the search field, then Perform Find. This returns all values with 1 character (checkmark is 1 character, "No" is 2, empty is 0)

3.) Enter "u", since the wingding character is a variation of the "u" character.

Any of the above could be done manually or scripted. There are probably more ways to find the checkmark, but these are all that come to mind for now.

I have a similar solution that I created a while ago using the marlett font.

That is a default windows font. The letter 'a' using that font is a nice check mark and it is included on all windows computers.

My problem with it is that I can't get the marlett to work on a Mac. I tried moving/copying the font from Win computers to Macs and it never works. Anyone else out there with a verson of marlett I might use on a mac, or a font that uses the letter a for a checkmark, contact me offline.

Jerry

Edited by Guest

Thanks, comment. I'm still running OS 9 on my Mac (w/FMP 4 :Violin: ) and I assumed that Wingdings would be a standard font that installed with OS X as well.

I replaced Wingdings with Webdings in the calc and tried it out, and you're right...it works! The only problem is that it's not very aesthetically pleasing, in my opinion.

So, I researched and found what I believe to be a cross-platform compatible font in Zapf Dingbats. Here's a revised sample file using that font (key for checkmark = 3).

If a Mac OS X user out there could try it out and post the results I'd be most grateful.

RealCheckRev_Dingbats.zip

Thanks for trying, Cyborg Sam.

So, Webdings it is if you want consistency for character searches between platforms, I guess!!!

Edited by Guest

My comment was geared more towards the "find" issue discussed earlier. It would be nice to use the same character in searches, regardless of OS, in a multi-platform environment.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.