Importing converted files as tables

This topic is 6722 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Spent a considerable amount of time renaming all layouts and scripts on a relational FP6 multi-file solution (per white paper suggestion) in preparation for conversion and then converted the files using FMP8 Advanced.

My goal is to combine several of the files into the main file as additional tables. When I import a file as a table all of the fields import fine and the conversion process creates a generic new layout titled the same as the file's name that was imported. I then have no problem importing the scripts from the same file. The problem is that the importing process does not import the layouts from the subject file and any scripts that reference these layouts are now broken.

What am I missing here? I have read all the manuals and every white paper that I can get my hands on, however it seems that the only way to get these layouts into the newly imported table file is a clunky copy and paste (this could be a very long process given the number of layouts in the solution and the need to reset headers and footers).

What am I doing wrong, what have I missed : ? Any help would be greatly appreciated

• 3 weeks later...

George, there is no built-in capability to import the table structure of other files in FM7. FM8 has this ability.

You can import the data from another file into a table in the current file, by going to a layout based on that table and performing an Import, but of course, that table would have to be set up already.

• 1 month later...

ok, I got FMP 8. I am using FMP5.5 and converting those files to 8. I converted my main database. I followed the manual instructions to import tables. When I am in the define dialog box, I clicked on tables, and there is no import button as the manual says??? I also noticed that when i converted my main database, as well as the related files, they are labeled with a .fp7 extention as if they are FMP7 files and not 8. I also have a copy of 7 but not using that and going to move toward 8 and FPS8.

any thoughts?

They are named with the .FP7 file because the file format hasn't changed from 7 to 8. FM7 can open an FM8 file and vice versa (although FM7 can't use any of the new FM8 features).

There's no "import" button for tables. You click on a table in the source file and click on "copy", switch to your target file and click "paste". Same with fields.

This topic is 6722 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.