Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Dacons Menu Control

SteveB

This topic is 6754 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

One, Dacons can disable menu items on the fly...one call grays an item out. It can remove the Window widgets (min, max and close). Allows sub-menus which Filemaker doesn't. Easy to use, xplat compatible, can assign keystrokes to menu entries. Can remove the right-click context menu, as well as change its contents.

My real problem with Filemaker's menus, putting an Exit command on the first menu which can't be removed is not a problem with Dacons.

There are more things that it can do, so check web site for a comparison and a trial version. It will make a huge difference in what your application looks like.

Steve

Allows sub-menus which Filemaker doesn't.

Just for the record, you can create submenus with 8 advanced custom menus.

The thing that burns me the most is that I purchased Dacons menu control 2 a couple of weeks before September 1st... so I have to pay to upgrade now... or choose between dacons and fmp8...

getting custom context menus would be nice, but the exit item on windows and the application menu on the Mac aren't annoying enough for me to upgrade

You're right about the sub-menus, as I did create them with Advanced. Dacons is offering a free upgrade from v2 depending upon your purchase date. You might want to contact them, as they are reasonable guys.

I have a very tightly scripted solution, and I don't want the user exiting from anywhere but my main menu, plus I need to disable the Windows widgets.

Steve

• 2 weeks later...

There should be one question that Windows pops up that if you answer 'Yes', you shouldn't be bothered again. Since it doesn't happen to me, I can't tell you what it is. Did you try the developers for help?

Old Fogey wrote:

Steve,

I haven't had a chance to play with this yet but am very nervous about distributing runtimes with plug-ins. Do you distribute runtimes to a wide range of OSes? No problems?

I don't do Macs, and for Windows, we've eliminiated W95-98. The other platforms shouldn't be any different. My belief is that this plugin has little or nothing to do with the operating system, and only communicates internally with FM.

Steve

Edited by Guest

This topic is 6754 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.