Making my database foolproof.

This topic is 8390 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I have created a db in FM 4.1 to calculate a control number (to be used in illustrations for tech manuals) based on information entered by the user. This information includes things like:

Manual type (entered by clicking the button for the appropriate manual)

Chapter (2 characters, entered manually by user)

Section (2 characters, entered manually by user)

Subject (2 characters, entered manually by user)

Example:

Manual Type: Flight Manual

Chapter:01

Section: 10

Subject:01

Control Number: FM011001

My (main) problem is that this db contains 5 layouts which are used, depending on what button the user clicks (representing which manual the illustration goes in). I would like to be able to prevent the user from clicking a different(manual)button once the record is completed.

In other words, once the record has been completed, I would like for the control number that has been calculated to be unchangeable by the user.

Is there a way to do this? I hope this makes sense to someone.

[ May 30, 2001: Message edited by: Key ]

[ May 30, 2001: Message edited by: Key ]

Now what you are asking is a tricky thing. Essentially what you're saying is you want the user to be able to create the record, but not to edit it. When setting your security options you can allow create records, but disallow edit records. So when they log in with the appropriate password, they can create a record but once then move to a new record they can't go back and edit it. This is the most obvious answer, but it has a number of issues with it.

1) At the time when the create the record, they can make changes to it as long as they are on that record. Only when the move to another record it the created record 'locked'.

2) Suppose they make and error when creating the record (example, they click on the wrong manual button). Then if they can't edit it later, someone with edit record options will have to fix it. So there's a chance for erroneous data to remain for awhile/get lost in the database.

You have two ways to prevent user from editing validated records:

• create editable forms and locked forms (editing property on fields disabled)

• apply a more sophisticated technique (see www. databasepros.com under the chapter 'record locking)based upon invalid portal

Have a nice job & greetings from Holy Lands

This topic is 8390 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.