using more than one field

Fog

This topic is 8334 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

I have a database (Sales)that has as one of its fields, part number. Its easy to create a second database (Parts) with part number along with part price. The two databases can then be linked/related so as to get part price and determine charge in the database (Sales) based on number of parts needed and cost per part.

However part prices change. I don't want the previous cost calculations to change everytime I change a price on a part number. Seems to me I need effective dates to be added to the relationship to make the part price current and corrrect. Is that possible? Anybody out there have a solution to this type of problem?

quote:

Originally posted by JL:

I have a database (Sales)that has as one of its fields, part number. Its easy to create a second database (Parts) with part number along with part price. The two databases can then be linked/related so as to get part price and determine charge in the database (Sales) based on number of parts needed and cost per part.

However part prices change. I don't want the previous cost calculations to change everytime I change a price on a part number. Seems to me I need effective dates to be added to the relationship to make the part price current and corrrect. Is that possible? Anybody out there have a solution to this type of problem?

In your Sales database, set the Price field to a lookup using the relationship you describe. Older files will retain the old price that was looked up, while new records will reflect the current price for the part.

This topic is 8334 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.