Relationship Problems and Creating Children

This topic is 8332 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hello,

I have one database (Editor) with no records just global fields used for temporary storage of data for editing. The problem comes up when I am creating new records with data from the Editor in another file. I have a relationship base on a global field in the Editor called "gCompany Name" relating to a field in the Contacts database called "Company Name". I check to see if the company exists using IsValid and warn the user. If not I try to populate the "Company Name" in the Contacts File but FileMaker refuses to enter into the field and spawn a new child. Has anyone ever had this problem? If so how do I get around it?

Thanks,

Graham Sprague

I guess I understand "enter into the field", but "spawn new children" leaves me wondering what you mean. Also, field is "THE field"? You are using a relationship from Editor to the Contacts file, but you don't mention how the actual editing takes place. Are you entering directly into related fields based upon Company Name or are you entering into globals and scripting the replace?

-bd

This topic is 8332 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.