Filtering out similar records

Toby B

This topic is 8307 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I have a database that imports a text report listing every bit of software installed on a computer. There is a report of each computer on the network. Each software title may have duplicate records in this database because it may be installed on multiple machines. (ie the only difference between these records is the Computer ID field.

I have created calculated match field that concatenate the Software Title field with the Version field. This alows me to differenciate between older and newer versions of the same software.This works fine for counting numbers of users, etc. with each version of a software title.

Where I come to a mental blank is when I want to create a layout that will list, once, the Software Titles without duplicates or older versions.

This will give me a master list of software used by my company.

Does anyone know how I can achieve this?

I didn't understand what you were talking about at first but after looking through the other postings I am guessing you are talking about subsummary fields?

The additional problem to my original question is that there are 5 different types of applications in these reports I import

quote:

Originally posted by Toby B:

I didn't understand what you were talking about at first but after looking through the other postings I am guessing you are talking about subsummary fields?

First, I apologize for the garbled earlier reply. I did mean subsummary PART, sorted by software title. Sometimes my alligator a**hole overcomes my hummingbird brain.

quote:

The additional problem to my original question is that there are 5 different types of applications in these reports I import

I don't know if this will help... but you could do something like the following, and it may help better track your data....

In a related file you could create several fields, one being software_title, one being version_number one being file_type

In the main file with the listing of your computers you could create a many to many relationship, or maybe a complex key to make the relationship but what this shold do for you is allow you to sort and do subsummaries by the name of the program only (albeit you may have 10 entries for one program with 10 version numbers) this ould also allow you to run reports of what version numbers you have of each software on each computer...

Don't know if that helped...

Nathaniel

This topic is 8307 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.