Burnt out!

MtnBiker

This topic is 8262 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

First of all I apologize if this is posted in the wrong area...

Second, this is my delema:

These are not really the names of my files. I have one file called name_and_address and another called jobs. Every time I do a new job for a person, I would like to create a new record in "jobs" without overwriting the previous record for that customer. In name_and_address I would like to enter a new record for that customer but maintain her/his customer id. My problem is every time I create a new record I somehow overwrite the record in "jobs". I have a relationship set up that uses the customer id from both name_and_adress and jobs. I would like to keep a history of the jobs for that customer instead of overwriting the last job. I hope this is clear. crazy.gif" border="0

Why do you need to create a new record in Name_and_address if there is already a record for that customer there? A customer data file typically has only a single record per customer with their specific information which would be constant for all jobs.

Bob’s right! One customer, one customer record! There is no other sensible way of doing this. Then with a customer ID relationship to Jobs (make sure you check allow creation of related records in the relationship) you can have as many jobs as you want for any customer. Set them into a portal in the customer file, and when you enter a new job in the last portal row, a new record will be created in the Jobs file.

It sounds to me as though you’ve got some things mixed up with relationships and lookups, which are causing over-wrights in the Jobs file. But it’s hard to say without more explanations.

Rigsby

This topic is 8262 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.