Excluding records from dropdown list.

radiodan

This topic is 6702 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hello,

I am quite new to Filemaker and currently building my first relational database, I need users to be able to assign customers to active jobs (of which there are 1 - 10 at any time).I want a valuelist to contain the contents of the job field but only all records that are "active". I would like to specify a record as active or inactive by using radio buttons.

Is this possible? any help would be much appreciated.

Edited by Guest

Do a search on +conditional +value +lists and yo ushould be able to see many posts and solutions.

Edited by Guest

John,

Thanks for the advise, I have had a good search on the terms you suggested, I still cant find the answer.

Basically I need to have the list in a table called "booking" from a field called "booksession" in table called "sessions", but i need to exclude records that have an entry in the inactive "field".

Should I be looking for a calculation to achive this?

Thanks

Daniel

thanks for doing this for me I have had a good look at your example, I like the way it works. Unfortunatly I can't seem to impliement it in my database. I think the problem is that I am trying to use it in a join table.

I have attached a screenshot, if you are able to look. I would upload the database but it is quite large.

Thanks

Daniel

Relationships.jpg

If field, SessionActiveInactive has been properly entered with the data Active or Inactive, and the global field has been set to the word 'Active' then this relationship should work.

John

Thanks for posting back, its the global field I was having difficulty with (i.e I hadn't spotted or understood it). But an hour on the train today with my laptop and the file you made for me, and finally I worked it out (I should have checked your reply sooner!)

I have a field in the first record that is global with the word "active" in it. Can I now delete this field from the layout? Is it possible to set one value for the field when I set it up, without having an instance of it on the layout.

In general do you think this is the best approach for conditional lists or is it worth learning to do them with calculations as some other posts suggest? (I may need quite a few more as the database expands in scope)

Once you entered data into it, you can delete it off the layout.

However, it is good practice to have a "Developer's" layout with all fields on it as you will see in my example.

You may be able to do it with a calculation field as well, but setting up a global field to match records is a great way to show conditional related data.

This topic is 6702 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.