Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Is this a Layout Problem?

Ginxy33

This topic is 6706 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I have a layout with (Records showing from ProductDetails) I also have the InventoryTransaction Table in a portal on the same layout. I use the portal to enter inventory into the InventoryTable. This works just fine.

But when I want to do an Inventory(List) (Records showing from InventoryTransactions) The transactions show up but have no Idea what Product they belong too.

Why can't the InventoryTable see the ProductDetail table? Is it a one to many issue? if it is, how could I fix that. Or is it a layout issue? I'm so confused.

Thank you in advance

relationship.jpg

Based on your structure (insofar as FM relations are defined as bi-directional), InventoryList should see anything in ProductDetail. Your structure has a link from InventoryTransaction to ProductDetail, so you should be able to put any field from ProductDetail (or even Product, which appears to be linked to ProductDetail) on your InventoryList layout and see the related product info.

Have you tried that?

David

Your structure has a link from InventoryTransaction to ProductDetail

... except when point-of-view is Inventory because the related key isn't indexed.

Hi Ginxy33,

Is your cpk_ProductSku global? It appears to be global or (unindexed) calc because it's connection line (where it meets Product Detail) is flatline, indicating data can't flow back that direction. Bye-bye bi-directional.

When you place Product Detail fields directly on your Inventory layout (as David suggests), what displays? Are you getting an 'Index missing' (unstored calc), or getting the same value for all records (meaning cpk_ProductSku is global) or nothing at all? When you say 'they have no idea which parent they belong to' that doesn't tell us very much.

To display related data from Products Detail in Inventory, the related key (in this case cpk_ProductSku) must be indexed. I was wondering why you weren't using the ProductID here. Are you concatenating the ProductID with color, size etc?) Can you index that field? :wink2:

LaRetta

When I place the Product Details field on the Layout it displays

My cpk_ProductSku is a concatenated key just as you had guessed and no it's not global and I can't index it. So now what do I do? I seem to be coming back to the same problem over and over...My cpk_ProductSku. Any suggestions??

Thank you so much for your help! I so appriciate it.

Then that key must include fields from a related file, aggregate functions (which wouldn't make sense here) or based upon Get() functions (which also wouldn't make sense)? If it is a simple concatenation of fields from the Products Detail table, it can be indexed. Have you tried going into Options on that field, going to Storage tab and turning on indexing?

"I seem to be coming back to the same problem over and over..."

Post details about that field (include data type and also if, in the calculation box, the checkbox on the bottom is clicked about 'Do not evaluate if all referenced fields are empty') and show us the calc (copy/paste it here) ...

Edited by Guest

Product::kf_MillID & " " & kpc_InventoryItemCode

I can't, at the moment, remember why I changed the Sku from ProductID to MillID. I know there was a good reason at one point. If I was to use the ProductID instead of the MillID would I still be able to do a search on the MillID?

I think I will give that a try and see what happens.

If you base the Products Detail to Inventory table on the ProductID in Product Details then it can be indexed and it will allow the data to flow that direction.

This means that those fields from Product Detail you placed on your Inventory layout will display the correct product detail, as based upon the relationship between the two.

LaRetta :wink2:

This topic is 6706 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.