Export FM8 Data into Excel and Retain fomatting

Jalz

This topic is 6706 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi Guys,

Can somone advise me on how I can try and recreate the FileMaker---->Excel layout into Excel automatically when I run my export script from FileMaker.

Ive attached a sample of what I am trying to do, any help would be much appreciated as always. has anyone else attempted to recreate a couple of reports out of FileMaker into Excel in the past?

Jalz

reporttest.zip

Hi Lee,

Yes, Ive tried all the options. The problems the way I store my data, i.e. two tasks (Task Due (Descriptor)- Due TaskDate, Task Act(Task Due (Descriptor)), Actual TaskDate) in one record, means that when I export to excel, the fields dont have a carriage brk between the two tasks, they're just long continuos records.

I've just created another file, been experimenting since I posted. The file contains fields A to Z and Ive been populating data into the FM file and then exporting out to Excel and voila, it reatins the Layout format.

So I think I am going to investigate this further, but I have a couple of other questions.

a) How many fields can I display in Table view in FileMaker.

: Can I export background colours to excel?

: Can I export background colours to excel?

Not that I know. But have a look at www.filemaker.com/xml

You can do all the formatting you want in excel by using an XML export from FM and putting the formatting code in the XSLT...

Hi Lee,

This is the format I want my data to come out in. Nicely aligned columns and headings. At the moment I'm favouring using an intemediary file, called excel, with columns A-Z. I can import my data into this file in the fields and then export the fields to Excel. This will allow me to format data as I like, but as Wim suggested, using XML and xslt is probably the most effiecient and best way to fomat data.

I've bought the XML book by Beverly Voth, but unfortunately I haven't had the serious time to get really into it. Besides Im someone that learns through examples, rather than reading, hence the reason why I haven't got into it - my downfall.

Thanks for your help guys.

Reporttest.zip

Edited by Guest

This topic is 6706 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.