Value List from Several Fields

Jarvis

This topic is 6700 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Is there a way to populate a value list with all the values from more than one field?

I have a table with the following fields:

Worker 1

Worker 2

Worker 3

Worker 4

I would like to be able to display this value list as a checkbox but need to keep the worker names as separate fields for other reasons.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Jarvis

Hi there!

Well, I trust your reasons. Create a text calculation with:

Worker 1 & ¶ &

Worker 2 & ¶ &

Worker 3 & ¶ &

Worker 4

This calc must be in the table with these fields - not in a related table. Let FM index it for you. Then base your value list on this calc field instead. :wink2:

LaRetta

LaRetta,

Thanks for the tip.

I'll give it a try just as soon as I can figure out what that character between the ampersands is.

(I've seen it before but I cannot remember how to find it on my keyboard.)

Jarvis

PS: I know it seems goofy to segregate worker names into separate fields. I'm doing this in so I can use these fields as dynamically changing button names.............for a script parameter.

Hi Jarvis,

That's why I didn't question (or hound) you about the 'appearance' of flat-line structure. I was confident that you knew not to use that in place of good relational ...

That character is the paragraph symbol which can only be accessed within the calculation dialog. It is displayed two down from the & sign.

This turns the workers into a multikey text field which can be used in joins (just like any other key field). And your value list will take all values from it (just as it does any other field). :wink2:

LaRetta

LaRetta,

I was, after several re-reads of your post, able to make the value list reflect the values from the separate fields.

I was not, however, able to individually select or deselect any of the field values. Whenever I tried I would get an error message that said: "this action cannot be performed because this field is not modifiable".

I guess this is one of those things where just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

Thanks again!

You need to take that newly created value list ... and attach it to your regular field you want filled in and not attach the value list to the calculation ... my error in not mentioning that DETAIL. :wink2:

This topic is 6700 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.