Actual Runtime Requirements

Oldfogey

This topic is 6699 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Does anyone have any experience with runtimes V7 or V8 actually not running on windoze other than on the official 'requirements' - WIN2k SP4 or WIN XP SP2?

I'm really cranky because I think I've lost a contract over this.

I use Tarma Installer and incorporate a requirement that the target machine has the official requirements. Friend/prospect has XP no SP. Tarma install refused. BUT when I just copied the runtime to her hard disk, it ran like a charm. (It wouldn't be so bad if she hadn't spent a lot of time getting SP2 and trying to install it without success.)

The basic question is - do FMI specify those requirements because there is a problem with earlier versions or because they haven't tested on the earlier versions? Anyone know?

Because they use functionality in parts of the program that rely on the service packs. Your runtime app may work (or just seem to work) but there is no guarantee that all functionality of FM will.

Besides, the client should have SP2. There are a lot of security improvments in it. They put themselves to risk by not using it.

PS: if you want help from Windows-savy people, don't use "windoze". It's not professional. It signals to me that I would never hire you to do anything on Windows.

Why would you expect the Runtime to run on a machine that the Full version wont run on?

Version 7 and 8 are not even suppose to install on the unsupported machine. The upgrade to v7 and v8 also included a commitment to hardware.

Lee

Lee, that is precisely my point. The base versions will not install on non-committed Windoze versions and I just assumed that runtimes would not run. It made me look a complete prat when it did run. (I was showing someone without SP2 how to copy the app on to a machine that is up to date.)

I have two friends with XP and no SP2 - their eyes glazed over when I asked about SP2. I'm sure they aren't the only ones. Both have been running quite happily for ages without it.

Wim, see above. You are dead right about the security issue; like to convnce my friends who've had no trouble for years? Also, what functionality? The last time I pursued one of these apparent requirements on a product (not FMP) it turned out that one function used by maybe 1 person in a million would not work; otherwise all was well.

Re 'Windoze', 1. get a life. 2. this displays my, and anyone who knows about OSs, utter contempt for a dog of a product. Witness the need, after all this time, for almost daily updates to cover security holes. Says a lot about the architecture doesn't it?

This topic is 6699 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.