account problem

Kieron

This topic is 6674 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I can't seem to find anyone else having this problem, so there may be an easy answer. ( I hope!)

I manage a large system with approx 100 users, and they all have separate login accounts, but they may use the same machines to access the databases.

I have a 'opener' file on each machine to open the ,main database' on our server which the the user can then move between other 'satelite databases'.

The problem is though, that I have recently discovered that although a 'log out' script closes all the remote server files and reopens the 'opener' file on each local machine. When you relogin as a different user, to the 'main database', any access to the satelite datbases still uses the login details of the first person to open the database.

Can anyone help?

Thanks,

Kieron

That would be the obvious (easy) answer... but quite often one user may finish and the next may follow directly after them. This will make for a rather slow log in process, wouldn't it?

Do you have any other suggestions?

Thanks,

Kieron

Could you expand on this??

I do have a master relogin script that closes all the files and reopens the 'opener', which then prompts me for a username and password for the ''main database'

Is it possible to carry a username and password into the re-login script to open the other 'satelitte databases' with the same details?

Kieron

In FM7/8, the files don't actually get closed unless all windows are closed; they stay open in the background. This is why the accounts are not updating when the users login again.

So what you could do is have the main file perform the relogin by using a Custom Dialog, putting the account name and password into globals, then use those to attempt a Relogin [ No Dialog ] in the main file. Then if successful, perform a subscript in each satellite file with a Relogin [ No Dialog ], using the account name and password that was collected in the main file.

This is a rather complex process, so if you're not very adept at scripting, you might just follow Steven's advice and quit the application. But if you do get this working, the advantage is the files stay open, which can be helpful on slow networks.

Thanks for your help on this one. It's wonders what you can do when pointed in the right direction.

I have now included a 'closer' aswell that closes all open windows when user is required to relogin.

Also includes a change password script that will change the password on all 'satelitte' databases in one hit.

Thanks again.

Kieron :wink2:

This topic is 6674 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.