Server Maintenance This Week. ×

So good they named it twice .....

Inky Phil

This topic is 6671 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I love European cities and I assumed that America, being a relatively young country, would not be able to match the likes of Paris or Rome for a short city break experience.

How wrong could I be! I just spent a few days in New York and had a great time. It may not have a very long history and the culture that develops with that but my oh my, does it have an incredibly big heart!

The people are so kind and polite and the architecture is as interesting as it is different from a Barcelona or a Venice. The whole place has a fantastic atmosphere about it.

Anyone who is undecided about visiting New York I say just do it. I do not think you will be disappointed.

As our american friends would say 'It Rocks!'

Phil

As an ex-NYer (born and grew up there), I was surprised by your comments. But I never ever heard anyone say that NYers were polite (quite the contrary).

Among major cities in the world, New York may very well be the most exciting city; it's certainly the most energetic. I always get a thrill when the plane lands and I get a view of the skyline.

Glad you enjoyed your visit. Steve

People do think that NYers are rude, I grew up there and I find them to be warmer & more communicative than other places. NYers are terse & to the point, it's part of living efficiently in a crowded environment.

Folks out here in Seattle are often too polite, you can grow old at a four-way intersection waiting for someone to go first... But they're cool personally. I get a warmer human feeling from folks in NY.

Seattle is provincial and a bit too Puritan for my tastes, yet Seattle postures itself as liberal. If it weren't for the natural beauty of Washington & Oregon, I'd move...

• 1 month later...

Been in the south (Virginia, USA) for about 20 years. Yes, New Yorkers are polite. I Love New York. Would not live there (Traffic, not the people, they are great). Grew up in the 6th borough (Bergen County, NJ). Yes I agree NY rocks! Thanks for the positive feed back. We are very proud of our city, ground zero is very moving.

John

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.