Found Set Value Calc

Genx

This topic is 6695 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

... sorry couldnt think of a good subject... im wanting a calculation (pref simple :) that will check that a particular field in all the records in the current found set have a particular value with the calc returning a true or false or 1 or 0 result.

For example i have an imaginary field called male or female... if all .. dunno 10 records in the found set have the value "male" for the imaginary field return a value of true...

Help would be muchly appreciated from anyone who has the time to spare.

Cheers, Genx

Ok, i have a trickier one for you then... what if im in a multi user environment and i for some reason want each of the users to be able to store either male or female in that field (i.e. one user may have stored male and the other female... in the same field at the same time, seperated by semi colon or carriage return or something), is there any way to do a seperate calculation for each user using the get(accountname) function in som way? Im a bit desperate again, thank you in advance

Genx

Hi Genx,

It would help us if you provided some details like what you are doing and why. Without understanding the purpose of the request, we can't visualize a proper solution. What are you trying to accomplish? Can you build us a little picture here on why the Users will want to store different values in the same field and why you would then want counts by Account Name of those values?

As it stands, your request is simply to vague too provide good suggestions. :wink2:

LaRetta

lol yeah im great with vague (sorry i know its a horrible characteristic)... anyway to tell you the truth its an attempt to introduce a "flagging" system into the database for mail merges. Now in a single user environment its no problem because the script just executes and does a simple search for all the "flagged" records that have a 1 value and then executes a merge script and resets all the 1 values to 0... the problem comes in in a multi user enviroment where the two different users may have flagged the same record at the same time... or are trying to do a merge at the same time... Does that make it cleaerer? Thanks lots

Oh and the reason i needed a way to check if an entire found set was "flagged" was because of a flag all option that executes according to whether all current records in the found set are flagged or not...

Cheers lots, Genx

Merry Christmas for soon.

Reverse your thinking: instead of flagging the records, put the RecordIDs (a unique identifying field in each record, usually an auto-entered serial number) into a global field. This found set then then be recalled at any time with the Go to Related Records script step through a self-join relationship to the global field.

Hmmm, not a bad idea though im a bit confused as to how that relationship would work ... would it just be an ID = Global relationship... and would the global be storing a compiled list of sorts of all the ID's??

Cheers, Genx

Hmmm, not a bad idea though im a bit confused as to how that relationship would work ... would it just be an ID = Global relationship... and would the global be storing a compiled list of sorts of all the ID's??

Take a look at this template:

http://www.nightwing.com.au/FileMaker/demos8/demo804.html

--sd

This topic is 6695 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.