Server Maintenance This Week. ×

FMS on XP using Apache?

This topic is 6706 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

We have 8 XP Home computers. The office now wants to expand and have the "server" that's now running FM Pro 7 run FM Server 7 so they can access the information remotely (on blackberries, etc.) Can I do this on XP Home? I was thinking maybe with Apache for Windows....

If that's impossible, maybe FM Pro 7 will work with the IWP option, since they don't need more than 5 remote connections at a time. I tried doing this but it didn't seem to work -- the "server" is on an internal network; I was forwarding port 80, but it still seemed to have some trouble.

Noah

Check the "Server Machine Sufficient" thread for a horror story on running FMS on XP. While officially allowed by FMI for small deployments, I think it's a bad idea. YMMV.

If you want to use FMS Advanced it its web capabilities then you have to work with IIS on Windows. Works with Apache only on OSX.

If the server is on the local network you don't need to use port forwarding, that's something that needs to be done on a router (the gateway between two different networks, like the web and your internal network).

[color:red]Please pay attention to what Wim said. if this is a critical operation you want to run Server Advanced and you want to run it on Windows Server 2003, not on Windows XP.

Besides, IIRC, Advanced will not run on Windows XP, because the workstation version of IIS is not compatible with FileMaker Server Advanced Web Publishing Engine.

HTH

Steven

• Newbies

Well that's unanimous then! We don't really need more than 5 connections anyway, so I think we'll just keep FM Pro 7. The only reason I really wanted to switch was because I thought it would be more reliable in terms of P2P network operations (right now we have an opener file that fails a lot and the office staff needs to do a File->Open Remote->etc... which they can't handle).

I actually tested the IWP from FM Pro 7 from the internet and it worked (!), but for some reason I can't access it on my Blackberry (which would be really great for these guys). Any ideas?

Thanks for all your help!

Noah

IWP is designed for access via modern web browsers. PDA's are not supported so far as I know. You'd want to use CWP with a style sheet to transform the page to html or wml the PDA can handle.

BTW, if you're in the USA, I hope you're making contingency plans if RIM is finally shut down and there is no more Blackberry service.

Steven

This topic is 6706 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.