Lookups/Relationships/Save Relative Path

Sally

This topic is 8227 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Hi,

I have a file that is used specifically for data entry of customer orders. Several users have a copy of this master file, and do only data entry (some offsite, some in the office) for a client.

After the d/e is completed, the files are sent to other users who have copies of several databases containing information that is used for lookups based on date & name fields within the d/e files. (The lookups are then performed via script & relookups).

Eventually, all data is imported to a master file for future reference & record-keeping.

For the users who have no copies of the "lookup databases", when they enter the date and names, they get prompted to open the "lookup databases" but can cancel thru those messages and no harm is done.

However, there is one d/e user who works in the office, on a computer which is networked (via Ethernet/Appleshare) to a server, and the lookup databases ARE on the server.

The problem is that when she enters the date, or the name, into the d/e file, the lookup databases are automatically *found* in the shared volume mounted on her desktop, and she doesn't get an opportunity to cancel through the messages and therefore all of the lookup info gets filled in. This causes problems later, so I'd like to avoid it.

The shared volume, by the way, must stay on her desktop so she can access other files throughout the day, so disconnecting from the network is not an option.

Would it help to turn off Save Relative Path? And if so, how can I do that? The default seems to be that the option is selected, and I can't seem to deselect it?

I appreciate any direction you can give me!

thanks,

Sally

One of the things that you should never do is have multiple Filemaker files with the same name where Filemaker can find them. Because, guaranteed, it will eventually use the wrong one and make a mess.

The only safe solution that I know of is to rename your working set of files, so that there is no conflict. With related files, this is messy, because you have to redo your relationships. But, if you do it once, you can save an empty clone of the working database. Then, the next time you need to make a new working set, import the master data into a copy of the clone working files rather than making a copy of master files. It's more work, but it eliminates the danger of file corruption.

This topic is 8227 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.