Server Maintenance This Week. ×

2 files (Gui+Data & Reports)

Jalz

This topic is 6698 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Im working on my first real FileMaker Pro 8 application, and I thought I may as well gain some experience seperating the files.

At the moment my setup consists of 2 files.

1) MIS which contains (DATA + GUI)

2) Report

All my scripts and data are stored in the first file, the second file only has a file reference to the MIS file and the relevant reports built out of the TOS and relationships that I need.

My question is, I need to from the MIS file, add a print report script step. The way I usually do this is to use the GTRR, which takes me to the layouts that I need. However I cant seem to figure out, how to externally display the related records in my reports file (in the GTRR script).

Any help would be much appreciated

Cheers

In the GTRR script step, there's an option to use the external file's table. Use this, and follow it by a Perform Script[external] that calls a script in the Report file that switches to the correct layout.

Thanks Ender,

I still couldn't get the GTRR method working with the method you suggested. I have solved the problem by parsing the keyfield via a parameter and calling an external script from the Reports, which performs a find and preview.

Jalz

THe GTRR command is both a blessing and a curse. Because of it's power, one has to have a good understanding of how to work it to get the expected results. I'd suggest a good reading in the help files and other resources to understand it's capabilities.

I seem to be in Tangential Mode today...

Jalz: GTRR discussion aside, I note that you are separating your Reports but keeping your interface, scripts, and data in one file. From the SM perspective, you are not gaining the full (admittedly highly-debated) benefits--those being that your interface file can change without having to re-load your client's data.

If the database is in-house and you're not distributing updates, then why separate the reports at all?

If you're going to keep the reports in a separate table, you could make use of Script parameters to pass criteria into the Reports file, where those criteria can be used to generate the report you need on the fly.

HTH,

David

Hi David,

I thought I'd dip my toes in by seperating to two files first and see for myself what the advantages and disadvantages were. The system I am creating is for a single client, which is not inhouse - but my thought process was I could probably split the Data and GUI by cloning, if I could understand how seperating the reports work.

Ive read through most of the posts here, and it is quite interesting some of the many things should be aware of.

This topic is 6698 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.