What am I doing wrong????

alain

This topic is 8207 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I'm working with 2 files, which I'll call A & B. A will be the master file.

In A I have the "track#", "dept", "act_loss" fields.

In B I have the "track#", "amt_rec" fields.

I'm trying to establish a lookup field in file A (master) that would correspond to the "amt_rec" field in B.

In file A I've defined a relationship b/w A&B based on the "track#" found in both files. When I create a lookup field in file A called "amt_rec" and specify the field in file B the field is blank.

I thought I had everything set up correctly but it's obvious I don't. What am I overlooking?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Alain

Try clicking on the track# field (to make it the active field). Then, use the relookup command under records. Lookups will not retroactively place values in fields. If you want to auto-enter the looked up value when a new record is created, you can set that option in define fields.

I tried the relookup by activating the "amt_rec" in file A and get an error message. "There are no fields that look up a value based on the field "amt_rec" which is bogus because when I look at my define fields in file A there is a field called "amt_rec" with a lookup based on the relationship that I have described in my previous post.

I missing something but just don't know what. It's driving me nuts!

Alain

quote:

Originally posted by alain:

I tried the relookup by activating the "amt_rec" in file A and get an error message. "There are no fields that look up a value based on the field "amt_rec" which is bogus because when I look at my define fields in file A there is a field called "amt_rec" with a lookup based on the relationship that I have described in my previous post.

I missing something but just don't know what. It's driving me nuts!

Alain

I feel your pain; it took me awhile to grasp that the field you should be in when you do a Relookup is the field upon which the Lookup is based, not the field which is set by the Lookup.

e.g. If Field A auto-enters Lookup information from a relationship based on Field B, then Field B is the field you want to perform the Relookup in.

Like Tom Parker indicates, this field is Track #, since it is the field that forms the basis of the relationship.

Hope this helps

This topic is 8207 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.