Server Maintenance This Week. ×

How do you package a FM application for install

This topic is 6675 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

I've created a small FileMaker application that I need to install on a Mac. At on time I came across some documentation that explained how to do it and also how load versions of the application.

Can any one supply this documentation? Thanks.

You do not reflect the Advance (developer) in your profile, so I'm guessing that this is a regular file here.

A file created on Windows will open on a Mac.

If you are talking a Runtime created on windows, then you need to use the Mac version to create a runtime for Mac.

HTH

lee

You have to have the Developer Edition of FileMaker in order to make a Runtime. The Developer name changed in version 8, and is called Advance.

I'm still not sure you are meaning Runtime. If you create a file in v8, it can be read on either platform using FileMaker for that platform. The files are already compatible.

If on the other hand, you want someone to be able to run your file without a copy of FileMaker, then you have to create a runtime file for it. This requires you to create a runtime copy on Windows for the Windows platform, and then take your original file to a Macintosh machine and create different one for the Mac platform.

HTH

Lee

• Newbies

I'm still not sure you are meaning Runtime. If you create a file in v8, it can be read on either platform using FileMaker for that platform. The files are already compatible.

HTH

Lee

I might not have listed Advanced in my profile, but I didnt' mark idiot! I know that you can open a FileMaker project on different computers. It's a file, if you have the software to open it, it will open it.

I mean runtime. I want to install my application (it's called iDigger) on someone elses computer for them to use. If it's called runtime, that's what I want. If you can only create these with FileMaker Pro 8 Advanced, then it doesn't matter.

I don't plan on using FileMaker much but if I do and have questions I'll know not to come back here!

I'm not sure what you're offended about. Lee's advice is sound, and explains the differences between the versions. I don't think Lee was out of line, as it wasn't clear which version you were asking about. In any case, try to give people the benefit of the doubt when interpreting their responses.

• Newbies

I'm not sure what you're offended about. Lee's advice is sound, and explains the differences between the versions. I don't think Lee was out of line, as it wasn't clear which version you were asking about. In any case, try to give people the benefit of the doubt when interpreting their responses.

It kind of stemmed from a PM from Lee. No biggie, it's Friday.

Anyway, I appreciate the reponses. Though it was like pulling teeth, I got my answer. I can't create the runtime because I don't have FileMaker Pro 8 Advanced.

Later.

Gee, which [color:red]Private Topic was it that offended you. The one where I explained that you that I had to move your post (this one), because you had post it to a restricted topic area, or was it the one where I explained that you had hit the Report a post to admin button?

Or did you take offense to the "Don't call me Dude" remark that I posted back to your reply?

Or perhaps you just didn't like the fact that I went into detail trying to help you?

TGIF

Lee

:qwery: :confused: :qwery:

Edited by Guest
changes due to being pissed

• Newbies

I was here for 5 minutes and already receive two PM's from the moderator for doing something "wrong".

All message boards are different, the one I usually post on, is very lax in the forum you post in. When I originally posted this, I posted in the tips & tricks. It sounded like the right place. I didn't realize it was only meant for articles.

I apologize for being frustrated. I'd already spent 20 hours creating this app as a favor for someone. They expected it to take 30 minutes. So my frustration level with FileMaker was high.

Again, Lee, I apologize for being "short tempered". I appreciate your help.

Edited by Guest

This topic is 6675 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.