Performance hits on Windows

This topic is 6680 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hello All,

I do all my development on Mac.

Once the project is done, I then take it over to the windows side for a test drive to make sure everything looks and acts correctly.

I have just moved over to the windows side with a fairly involved solution. I would rate it as the most complicated solution I have ever done dual platform.

I am seeing a HUGE performance hit on the windows side.

I have tried optimizing on the windows side, but this did not improve the situation much.

Any tips/suggestions on getting the most out of this solution on the windows side?

NOTE: This is still a filemaker file, not yet made into an stand alone.

Thanks,

R

Edited by Guest

R:

First thing I would check is fonts. If your project contains fonts which are not on the Windows box, then it is doing substitutions on the fly.

Otherwise, where are you seeing the performance hit? Drive access? CPU cycling? I would check the performance metrics on the Win box & compare them to the Mac...

-Stanley

The solution was originally created and intended only for use on Macs. The decision was made recently to take it over to windows. Having said that, I do try to stick with Arial, Verdana and New Courier for all my type faces. Just in case a solution needs to work efficiently on another platform. I can go back and recheck everything and make sure my fonts are all appropriate.

As for specifics on the slowdown, it seems like everything takes longer.

Changing layouts, is the most noticeable. In one case I have a synopsis screen that shows a portal with records and then I have a view details button. Clicking this takes a solid 6-10 seconds just to change the view. Because of the way this synopsis is setup, its not a simple go to related task, I actually have to do a find, then present the data.

This topic is 6680 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.