Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Recovered File not really recovered

This topic is 6662 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

My iMac G3 (OSX v 10.39) crashed while faxing from Filemaker 6. After restart, the file was evidently damaged but recovered using the recover command. The dialog box indicated that the file was successfully recovered. However, with this Mac and others, this file Quits Filemaker with any attempt to open or import it. Can I have a suggestion on how to further fix this file issue?

You should probably take an empty clean copy of the file before it was corrupted and import the data from the corrupted file into it.

Never try to continue to use a file that needed to be Recovered. The file probably became corrupt prior to its failing, however, there is a good chance that additional damage incurred then too. With files that have failed once, it isn't a matter of if they will fail, but a matter of when. Also, if you didn't lose any data this time, consider yourself lucky, next time it can be worse. I don't know about you, but I just hate re-imputing data for a whole day, week, month, or totally from scratch.

As Mr Vodka stated, The Recovery process is there to help you get the data out, so that you can then import it into clean backup copies. If you don't have a clean copy, you should recreate them.

Lee

Edited by Guest

• Newbies

I do indeed have a clone of the file prior to corruption, which works just fine. When in the process of importing the records (from the recovered file ) into this clone file or any other file for that matter. Filemaker Crashes. When attempting to "Recover" the file, I do indeed get a "recovered copy" that crashes Filemaker on any attempt to open or import into another file. I also have the orignal file prior to any recover attempt that behaves the same.

• Newbies

I would do that however the field data that I need to read does not exsit elsewhre is in the file that is apparently corrupted. My question originally had to do with why the file is reported RECOVERED when in fact it still is clearly corupted.

Recovery is misleading term.

Read the online help that starts.

Recovering files

If a file is too damaged to open or use, you can salvage as much information as FileMaker Pro can reconstruct........

Lee

• Newbies

Problems Solved, I purchased Filemaker 8 and converted the file to the newer version. Apparently this version has better recoverabillity. So I exported the data and re-imported it into my back-up clone. I am not ready to upgrade my entire solution to 8 at this time, otherwise the upgrade alone would have solved my coruption problem.

This topic is 6662 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.