Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Sleep Request stops Server?

LaRetta

This topic is 6665 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I'm unsure where to post this. At work, a User (station running FMP7) accidently hit a strange keyboard button (while in FileMaker) and received this message (which looked like an internal FM-generated message):)

Sleep Request: System has received a Sleep Request but cannot while FM is shared. Do you want to close the Shared File to allow the Request?

I don't want our served file closed! I don't want Users to have the ability to do it either! I was afraid to test it (by saying YES) because there were 6 Users currently using it. I was going to test it at home (I'm networked) but my keyboard doesn't even have a key like that. It's a recessed button with a quarter moon on it.

What is this message? And how can I stop it? And are there any other keyboard strokes or buttons that can affect our served files (Server7)? :crazy2:

LaRetta

Hi L.,

If a client machine goes to sleep and they have a hosted file open, it will cut that connection to the server without closing the file properly (which is not good).

But from the error it sounds like that user actually was the host for a file, not a guest. Check that out first if you don't expect that. Are they opening files through a shared folder?

Oh dear. I just read your post, ran Start and Standby. The screen blanked. It won't reactivate no matter what I do. I had my solution OPEN. I don't want to reboot! Help please ...

Yes, I know ... back up before doing ANY testing. ROFLMFAO!

Mouse movement won't work, no keystroke works either. Manual? I guess I'll find it. Okay, I'm convinced I want to STOP THIS PUPPY! How can I totally disable this function on all my systems (here and at work).

We are Served properly from what I can tell. An Opener calls a sub-script in our main file on our Server which does NOT have file sharing on the databases directory in which it resides. But I tested the half-moon on two different computers at work and they both popped up with the same message. It looked like an FM application message. I want to disconnect it from my universe ... any ideas?

Edited by Guest

If you want to prohibit users from putting their machines to sleep you'll need to use Windows Group policies in the Active Directory. Complex matter (but fun!).

What I'd like to do ... is try to figure out under what circumstances anybody would get that message. If you know when it gets fired and when not then you can look at the client's deployment and fix what needs fixing if anything.

It gets fired when a User pushes the darned half-moon button. I want to remove all their keyboards and give them standard ones without all the fancy keys. :)^)

User did it first and showed me. I said 'NO' to the message then pushed the key again. It did it again. I went to my system and it did the same thing. Oh boy!!! Lots of new things to learn!! But first I'd better find my box manual. It's around here somewhere. I have about an hour's worth of work I'd lose since my last backup - not heart-breaking but nonetheless I'd rather not lose it. :)

L

Edited by Guest

Tried it here. Got the same message. But I don't think there is much to worry about though:

If you press "no", the sleep request is ignored. If you click "yes" filemaker actually closes the files before letting the sleep request proceed. Either way you're safe.

I learned something this morning :)

Whew!! Thank you, Wim!!!

Well, my Dell manual appears to be all in another language. So I guess I'll have to 3-finger-salute. Drat! And I'll have to find out how to take our systems at work off standby also in case someone says YES. :giggle:

Well, I risked it and hit the power button. It didn't reboot and just came out of standby so I didn't lose my work - FM stayed open (it was stand-alone currently). Actually, I'm glad it happened. It made me realize I need a manual in English. And it also tells the world that I haven't even READ my Dell manual. Me bad. :blush2:

I DID read (surfing for Sleep Request from my other system) that it will only wait so long before it closes (something like 20 seconds?). And some applications won't have enough time to close properly. But the article I was reading was dated 2000 so I'm unsure if it still applies. Article said that if the application was 'dirty' (had unsaved info), it might trash it. I will research this issue. It's one thing to just close the FMPro station but another to close our served files. Even if it closes them properly, I don't want them to close at all!!

This topic is 6665 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.