Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Logon to host via Remote Desktop

This topic is 6603 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I set up a local area network on a server which is acting as the "Host" for my database. I have no trouble logging in and accessing my database from any workstation within the office network. However, I would like to use remote desktop to login and use from an off site location as well. I have never done anything like that before and don't know how to begin. I have a fiber internet connection that is working correctly and I'm using FM 8 on Win XP pro. Anyone have any tips or suggestions? Thanks in advance...

• 4 weeks later...

I am not knowledgeable about Windows and PCs but I have done what you want to do on a Mac with software called Remote Desktop. On the Mac you must activate Remote Desktop in the Sharing control panel.

There must be something similar that you can activate on a PC. I think it is referred to as VNC. You must already be using the software if you are doing it internally so the only difference is that you must enter the machine you wish to access using the Permanent IP address at the other end.

Finally you will have to alter the port settings on your router to allow this kind of activity. So on our mac network we created port mapping using port 548 or 591 as I recall. That number may be different on a PC. I dont' know enought to advise but hopefully others will add to my lame start to help you out more specifically if this is not adequate.

You might want to take a look at the thread called "Sharing via Internet Connection" for a way to access the data without using VNC. See the other thread for how to do this.

If you just want to access the data then VNC is not required nor is it the best way to access the info. Filemaker offers its own network sharing.

If you want to be able to take control of the host machine say to reboot it then VNC is the way to go. But these are two different tasks.

• 5 weeks later...

VNC is what's being used on the Mac, not on Windows. On Windows the protocol is called RDP. The RDP client is built into each machine (unlike on the Mac where you need to buy the Apple software or install a VNC viewer).

To enable a machine as an RDP server, just go to the system properties, remote tab and allow remote desktop connections.

Don't do this on the FMS box though, the RDP box needs to be another machine otherwise it will be the equivalent of someone using FMP on the FMS machine: trouble.

This topic is 6603 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.