Export .txt trouble, upgrading from FMP 6

This topic is 6437 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

I'm a psychologist and have used FMP to do my billing (on HCFA 1500 paper) for years. I had my database customized recently so I can bill electronically. The script works fine in FMP 6 but I want to upgrade to FMP 8. The script doesn't work in FMP 8. I get a dialogue box that says "Billing_Output.txt could not be created on this disk. Use a different name, make more room on the disk, unlock it or use a different disk." I have looked at both scripts using Scriptmaker and don't see any obvious discrepancies. Any ideas? Thanks!

• Newbies

Hi, Daniele! Thanks for replying. I'll try to post the script steps.

Freeze Window

Perform Script ("Master Script" from file "Exporter")

Select Window (Current Window)

Go to Layout (original layout)

Refresh Window()

Select Window (Current Window)

The Exporter Script says

Masterscript

Build E output

Line 1

line 3

etc. through Line 52, then

Compiler

Line 2 transfer

Line 3 transfer

etc. through Line 6 transfer

Let me know if you need clarification or more info

Thanks, Sharon

• Newbies

The export is titled exporter.hm3

I don't know enough to know whether that's a plug in. I may have found a work around, by exporting in a .tab format, then dragging to

Word and saving as .txt. I won't know whether it actually works until I check with the clearinghouse tomorrow. Thanks for your time, Sharon

Of course you can always export to a tab, csv, merge, html, etc., Or print to PDF, but that wasn't what you wanted. I have a feeling that you have a plugin (SMTPit or something) that was utilized in v6, but needs to be upgraded for v7.

Lee

• 2 weeks later...
  • Newbies

Since fixing this was beyond my abilities, I went back to the consultant who created my export script for electronic billing. He was able to fix it. Here's his explanation of the problem:

As I've been converting other clients to FM8, something like this has come up every single time. I don't know if this will make sense to you, but in your case the problem was this: Filemaker 7/8 is much more specific about file locations than previous versions, unless you tell it not to be. And it's not just a simple matter of saying "don't be too specific".... you actually have to go in and find everywhere that it is being specific and wipe that out and replace it with something more generic. I just discovered this through trial and error. So in your case, it was actually trying to save the billing_output.txt file to a location on MY computer. And then when I tried it, it was trying to save it onto YOUR computer. I had to go in and say "just save it into whatever the same folder is that the database is in at the moment".

I hope this helps someone.

Thanks,

Sharon

• 7 months later...

This topic is 6437 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.