Can I make the tool tip last longer?

BruceJ

This topic is 5530 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I checked with the guys that inhabit the WinBatch forums, as they are as technically proficient as any I know. Here is their explanation:

Assuming a standard tooltip implementation, there are three different timing elements to tooltips: time a ToolTip window remains visible, time a pointer must remain stationary within a tool's bounding rectangle, and of time it takes for subsequent ToolTip windows to appear as the pointer moves from one tool to another.

The default settings for the three elements are based on current double-click time for the mouse. The first time element, the time the tooltip remains visible, is set to 10 times the double-click time by default.

Keep in mind that that any given tooltip can have have custom settings given to it by its application.

You can use the the "WinParmSet" function's request 18 to change the double click time but there is no guarantee that this will change the tooltip display time.

Basically, Filemaker decided how long the tip should remain on screen...it is not a registry setting as I assumed.

This should be easy enough to test when I get a chance. You could also try changing the double-click time for the mouse in the Control Panel and see if it makes any difference in how long the tip remains on screen.

Steve

Ah... thanks. I use a multi-user solutions so messing with other's double click speed might not make me that popular. I'd b curious to know if this works though. I guess until FMP adds this control, I'm pretty much dead in the water on this one.

• 3 years later...

This topic is 5530 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.