Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Conditional/Relational Database

This topic is 8748 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

I have a database of restaurants that have menus in the database.. which I have on the web... right now someone can choose a city(s) and a cuisine(s) and it will list the the restaurants then when the click on the restaurant the menu appears..

What I need to do is have it so that when they choose a city the only cuisines that show up are the available ones for that city. I am just stumped! I've tried everything... I know how to make a database just the city's and cuisines to choose a city and have only the cuisines come up but I can't figure out how to link it to the main database with the info of restaurants in it. Any help would be appreciated!! Thanks in advance..

Lori

If I understand you correctly, you have two fields: City and Cuisine. Further, and as and example, one might find French Cuisine in several cities. What you desire is that when a user selects one city and one style of cuisine, only the records appropriate for that style of cuisine which are located in that city will appear. Also, you are doing this through a custom web page, not instant web publishing of your database.

In order to force a search of two fields in one find from a format file, one must insert the line (edited for "field name") <input type="hidden" name="field name" value="=="> immediately preceeding the code allowing the selection of the desired data. This is the same treatment one would use for searching for a user's name and a user's unique identifier.

If your user were to type in the names of the city and the cuisine, the code might read:

<input type="hidden" name="city" value="=="><input type="text" name="city" value="">

<input type="hidden" name="cuisine" value="=="><input type="text" name="cuisine" value="">

If you are using buttons or a drop-down, you will have to work it out from this. Hope you find this useful. Good Luck.

This topic is 8748 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.