Server Maintenance This Week. ×

I'm New and Need Some Direction

This topic is 8713 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

I have inherited our company's FMP database which was created to maintain and track our entire customer base, projects and enquiries. I need some assistance (preferably in a laundry list format) with creating a thank you letter which relates to to certain data I've selected. Where do I create the letter, how do I save it, and how do I relate it to the appropriate data? Thanks in advance for any/all assistance.

• Newbies

zz:

My database contains close to 10,000 records of contact information (names, addresses, phone nos., etc.) The database also contains an yes/no option (checkbox format) along the lines of: Attended Conference?

I want to to do a find based on the conference attendees and basically merge the name/address information of the found records to the text of a thank you letter.

I am not clear on how or where to create this letter. I know I will need to create a letter layout (how do I create a letter layout and where do I save the text of the letter?)

The database I've inherited really has a lot of information which is really not relevant to our needs anymore but we're trying to make it work for us.

• 2 weeks later...

This is a very simple problem. You need to go into the layout mode in FMP. View menu, then layout. Then a layout menu option will appear. Select layout and then new layout. In this new layout you will write your letter. Be careful because it doesn't work like a word processor. This new layout will use text boxes and you letter will be a combination of a few text boxes. Combine the text boxes with fields that you want in the letter like name and address and so on. Once you have that completed you need to do a find based on your criteria. Basically find all the people that have a check box for going to the conference. Your records will only display those who attended. Then you can print all the records and wa-la, you have your letters. It works kind of like a mail merge. Good luck!

Ryan

[email protected]

This topic is 8713 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.