Server Maintenance This Week. ×

User accounts and sharing

This topic is 6646 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I'm a bit unclear about what I should do here.

I have an application that is running on one machine and is to be opened remote from several other computers. How do I get each user to open the application remote with a different account? I set up the application on the host machine to open the application with an admin account, but I want the users to open it with guest accounts. Is this possible? and if so how?

p.s. although I am developing this on a Mac it is being deployed on windows.

There is an option in the File Options to automatically log in using an account. There is a choice to use the Guest account, if it is active. If it's not, then activate it.

I see that you say "guests", not Guest. In that case just uncheck the box to log in automatically.

Edited by Guest

Thanks for the reply. I was aware of the file options but I was hoping to automate the process. I also was having problems testing on my machine because I am using OS X and had inadvertently added my username to the keychain.

But what I wanted to do was automate startup of the host machine and also allow the clients to use the Guest account (sorry for the sloppy language before.) What I think I need to use is an Opener script. That way I can have the clients log on as Guest and the Host automatically log in as Admin.

But that raises my other confusion ... is it necessary for the Host database to be started with Admin privileges in order to support Open Remote, or is that only necessary to configure shared support?

PW

No, what account and privileges the host database is open with doesn't seem to have much to do with what the clients are using to open the files. I can host a file with Guest account, then open it remotely with full access. (I'm just testing here with FileMaker Pro, but Server would likely be the same.)

What you need is an Opener "file", which would have an "opener" script. The actual Opener file is on each user's desktop. They can think of it as a "shortcut" or "alias" (depending on their OS and mindset); but it is not an alias, it's an actual file (well, an alias file is also a file, but a special kind of file; the is a FileMaker file; it's hard to talk about these things unless you're careful).

The Opener file just has a script to Open Remote the main hosted file on the server, with Set Error Capture ["On"], so they can't go wandering looking for anything. It can then close itself. Be sure and leave yourself a backdoor. I use Get ( ModifierKeys ) so I can stop/bypass the opening script (which would otherwise close the file, making it impossible to work on, Catch-22).

The Opener file only has to be setup on 1 client machine, then copied to each other client machine. They all have the same path to the server machine. It can open with the Guest account. Let the hosted file ask for the account and password. Otherwise you'd have to configure each opener file for each person; tedious to say the least.

This topic is 6646 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.