Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Copying records from related file into repeating fields

Kermit

This topic is 8718 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

I'm a landscape designer. I have DB of clients and a related DB of plants that I use in designs. I want to be have a list of the plants that I use in each clients design appear in one of the layouts of their record. I want the list to include several of the fields that are in each record in the plant list DB. I also need include the quantity of each plant used in a client record.

It seems to me the way to do this is to copy the data from the fields in the plant DB into a repeating field in the client DB. This way I can have multiple records of plant data accessible in the client DB. I can't use a portal because each client will have a unique list of plants. A lookup doesn't seem to work either because I can only get one record's field.

Is there a way to do this that doesn't involved copying and pasting one field at time from one DB to the other?

Any Ideas?

TIA

-Matt

------------------

Matt

[email protected]

Hi,

This is a possible solution.

It involves creating a new database which contains the plants used for each client.

1. First create a ClientID field in the Client database.

2. Creat a new database: ClientPlants. Have the new database contain three fields: ClientID (used to relate the database to the client database), plant, and plant quantity.

3. Put the fields from ClientPlants in portals in the Client database layout.

4. Create a value-list in Client of PlantNames from the values stored in the Plant::PlantName field.

5. Set the field format on the plant field in the portal to the value-list.

I hope this is clear, if not let me know!

Louisa

This topic is 8718 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.