Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Need to Share a File...How to?

This topic is 6644 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

This may have already shown up in another topic around here - if it has, I apologize for repeating.

I have a coworker who would like me to develope a database for them to use in a certain area of their work. At first, I was just going to develop a runtime application for them. But then they thought maybe someone else might want to use that same database. ...So we got to talking about sharing. But - I've never learned about that, so I'm clueless.

So I guess my question is: What do I need, in order to create a file on my computer so that others can use it from their computers too?

Do I need something other than FileMaker 8 Advanced?

Is it simply settings I need to choose?

The others need the FileMaker application, right?

I've read about it in FileMaker "Help" but I haven't quite grasped the concept yet. Any information would be great.

(One of the reasons I'm asking this, is because someone else here said that I'd need another FileMaker tool....Network, I think they said, and I wasn't so sure that was the case!)

Hi,

For simple peer to peer sharing all you need is a licenced version of FileMaker Pro for every user that wants to share/access the database.

Once you've got those, open up the files as normal apply sharing to them.

Hi there

I had the same problems when I first started so in the hope that it will help I will expand a little on Jalz's answer.

Each person who wants to share the file must of course be on a network.

As Jalz says each person who wants to use the file will need their own copy of FMP. If you try using the same copy on each seat Filemaker will detect this and not allow you to proceed.

One person acts as the host for the files. They must have the complete solution on their machine with the files set to allow sharing (this is covered well in the help file under sharing).

They must be the first to open the file. They are then effectively acting as a server for the solution

Other users can then open that shared solution by opting for the 'open remote' where the hosted files should show up in the window. Click on the one they want and Hey Presto! you are sharing!!

This is a very basic guide just to get you started and should cover what you asked for but please be aware that there are a lot of other considerations that one must be aware of when developing a solution for a multi-user environment but that is a matter for another very broad discussion

Have fun

Phil

Edited by Guest

This topic is 6644 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.