Can't get accounts and privilages to stick

This topic is 6653 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

I have a database that has been migrated from 3 to 6 to 8 and I am running into a strange issue with this individual database I have not encountered with the other forty odd databases I have converted.

Originally, this database did not have a real account associated with it, when one wished to modify it, they would enter the password, otherwise they viewed it as a read-only guest.

When it is shared over the network from FileMaker 8 Server, one can still view the database, and one can still login using just the password (leaving the username blank) however the database can not be modified in this state.

Fair enough,

I go into Define Accounts and Privilages and I create an administrator account with full privilages to modify everything except the tables, when the file is opened locally, or through file sharing (Mac OS X) the entire database can be manipulated, however when it is opened from the server even logged in as administrator one can not modify anything.

I have made the exact same modification to numerous other old databases and it has worked, but this particular one just won't observe the new account and privilage settings.

Does anyone have any thoughts on where I might be going wrong, or what particular problem with the database might cause this?

Thanks,

Welcome Trevor!

Sounds like an OS X permissions problem.

Close the file in Server, then locate the file in the Finder and select File->Get Info. In the Ownership & Permissions section, make sure the Group is "fmsadmin" with "Read & Write" permission. Then reopen the file in Server and see if can be modified when you connect remotely.

BTW: FileMaker database files should NOT be opened via OS file sharing--that's a quick way to corruption. On your server you should disable any file sharing (you should not use a file server as a FileMaker Server.)

• Newbies

That does appear to have been the problem, but Mac OS X made a stink about me trying to change the ownership of the file.

I got an error message saying that this action requires that you enter the administrator password and that the task can not be completed at this time because the finder can't be found.

I was able to change the ownership the old fashioned way and that does appear to have been the problem.

Thanks!

This topic is 6653 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.