Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Sep Model: Navigation

This topic is 6621 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I should probably have this one, but cannot get it.

I have a large data file (DAT). I have an interface file (INT) with many reports (and no tables) which uses the external DAT as its datasource: same number of records.

If I am in DAT with a given found set, how can I navigate quickly to the same found set in INT? I had envisioned using GTRR, but there is no relationship between the two files.

As a bonus, is it possible to preserve Sort order?

Thanks in advance!

DSW

I'm not sure why you'd be in the datafile with a found set; every find I execute in my SM system takes place in the UI file.

Put another way: the found set is found IN a layout, which in the SM should be in the UI file. Built that way, you don't need to "transfer" the found set.

I *have* had to propagate a found set from the UI file to my reports file--a secondary UI file, if you will--and the only way that I've found to do this is to pass the search parameters from one file to the next and script the search in the reports file.

In some REALLY gnarly spots, I have resorted to setting a hidden flag field to a pre-designated value so that I could then quickly retrieve the same set, but that gets ugly fast.

HTH,

David

In the Business Tracker print script, this is accomplished in 5 steps by:

Within the found set, navigating to a layout with only a UniqueID field

copy all records/requests

Navigating to a layout with a Global field

Paste

GTRR (show only related) Using that global as the basis of the relationship

It isnt a one step wonder, but still the slickest way I have seen to deal with the issue.

If you defined a value list based on all values in that global, you might be able to sort by that ID list in your relationship.

-Raz

With the new ability in vs. 8 to GTRR to 'Match all records in current found set,' this technique is no longer necessary. It's a wonderful new addition. :wink2:

The GTRR to 'Match all records in current found set' feature was introduced in FMP 7. No need to upgrade for this.

However there are lots of other reasons to ugrade, like script variables. :

This topic is 6621 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.