Portals and Relationships

McIntosh

This topic is 8452 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

I have a list of two hundred tv markets with number of homes in each market. I wanted a pop-up menu to select the market name, and 200 in a list is too long, so I broke it down into 4 sections, 50 names each (A-C, D-J, etc.). I've set-up the portal, defined the relationships, but only the A-C pop-up will populate the the "homes" data field in the portal. I know you can't have a portal within a portal, but how can I have ALL four pop-up menus pull data for the source file and place it in one portal?

• Newbies

I need 4 popups because 1 popup of 200 names is too large. With four popups of 50 names each, it is easier and faster to find the desired choice. Popups fields are labeles and contain markets starting with letters A-C, D-J, etc.

The portal shows the desired result for only the first popup (A-C) Making a selection in any of the other three popups results in no display of data in the portal.

There are two databases. One with Market Name in relationship with the other containing Market Name, DMA#, number of homes, and % of US homes.

Thanks for trying to help me figure this out!

Not sure how your market database is set up but I would have a text calculation using the case statement that looked at the left first letter of the market and assigned it a label (A-C, D-J, etc.)

Now in your master database, get rid of three popups and put ALL the possibilities (A-C, D-J, etc.) as separate lines in a value list. Your portal should relate between your popup and market files by the valuelist and the market calculation.

The good thing about this is that you can change just one calculation and your master file value list and narrow down the markets to whatever you want.

This topic is 8452 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.