emailing fields

skynight

This topic is 6581 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Not an expert, trying to make my program work, and would appreciate some help, bearing in mind I will need details please!

I want to put a button in the layout that will email to the designated recipient the contents of the several fields in the current record. All I can get it to do is send the details from just one field. How can I get it to send the information from about 12 fields from the same layout, same record, in the email?

Can I make a PDF file for example and email that?

Please give me enough detail for me to duplicate the process, and thanks in advance.

You can email create a PDF of that single record and then email that (as an attachment) or you can create a calculation that adds the content of each field to the body of the email. Are you familiar with calculations?

PDF Solution: Script for emailing PDF:

1) Go to Layout ["order Prt" (Parts)]

2) Print [Restore; No dialog]

3) Send Mil [No dialog; To: "[email protected]"; Subject: "Please Order Parts"; "orderparts.pdf"] ! the "orderparts.pdf" is the PDF that you created in step 1 !

4) Go to Layout ["Parts" (Parts)]

Email content of fields solution:

Script- 1 step:

1) Send Mail

details of body field is a CALCULATION (relavent to MY database- change fields and labels accordingly:

Service Ticket::email_message & ¶ & ¶ & "Name: " & Clients::Name & " " & Clients::Last Name & ¶ & "Phone: " & Clients::Primary Phone & " or " & Clients::Secondary Phone & ¶ & "Work Order #:) " & Service Ticket::WO# & ¶ & "PO#: " & Service Ticket::PO# & ¶ & Service Ticket::Created & ¶ & Service Ticket::Priority & ¶ & Service Ticket::Notes & ¶ & Service Ticket::Location & ¶ & ¶ & Service Ticket::Problem & ¶ & Service Ticket::Resolution & ¶ & Service Ticket::Comments & ¶ & Service Ticket::Technician & ¶ & Service Ticket::Status & ¶ & Service Ticket::Stage & ¶ & Service Ticket::Scheduled Arrive Date & ¶ & Service Ticket::Scheduled Arrive Time & ¶ & Service Ticket::Contact & ¶ & Service Ticket::Exact Location & ¶ & "Name: " & Service Ticket::Contact & ¶ & Service Ticket::Exact Location

Did that help?

You don't explain how you are going to create the pdf through the print script step. I'm particularly interested in this step because this has been a particular stumbling block in my own solution. I am currently using AutoIt scripts to setup up the print dialog and name the pdf file. This is a clunky solution and forces the user to watch as the Autoit program "presses" all the buttons in the print dialog. In your example you showed the print step with no dialog, are you using a plug in that you're not mentioning?

I tried to understand the method shown, but I need more guidance.

Why can't I use the scriptmaker "SaveRecordsasPDF" function? I tried it, and it even has an email function built in, but no dialog I could find to specify the intended recipient etc, just a place to identify the attachment (the PDF File created as above, which works nicely).

I figure what is in the first part of the suggestion is the same, but it is in some short-hand? I don't have the knowledge you might assume I have, so any clarification would be appreciated.

Ah... I am on a Mac and one of the buttons in my print dialog box is "Save as PDF". The computer just thinks it is printing a document. While in the script maker, I go through all of the motions of "printing" and whenever the script is called, the process repeats. In this case, it is printing a PDF to the desktop. Sorry I can't be any more help. :

Not 100% sure I understand your question, but FileMaker 8 has this feature built in (make a PDF of current record and email it to one or more recipients)

My advice }:( take a look at FileMaker 8 Advanced. I find that the advanced scripting features, PDF and XLS exports, etc., are a real time-saver. You'll be glad you paid the money.

This topic is 6581 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.