Windows Server 2003 CALs

This topic is 4089 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Windows Server 2003 has an requirement to purchase CALs (client access licenses) for each user or each machine that will be accessing the server.

I'm trying to wade through Microsoft's documentation on this but maybe someone out there could just tell me whether or not this relates to running FileMaker Server.

I think not, but here's the scenario: If I will have say 35 users connecting to FileMaker Server, this has no bearing on the number of CALs needed for Windows Server 2003, correct? I think I just need to purchase one CAL from Microsoft for the administrator of the server. (Note that I am not purchasing a machine that already has Win2003 on it. In that case I think there are usually some CALs included in the price. This is under a university VLA.) Thanks.

Sorry to answer my own question but I found the answer. CALs only apply to terminal services connections. So for just serving FileMaker, they're irrelevant.

Yes and no. It's a serious gray zone. Some MS reps insist that you need CALs for each FM client and that's probably the safest way. The MS license is not so clear about it and can be interpreted in different ways.

• 6 years later...

So I'm buying a new server with MS server 2008 R2 and just got the quote.  A bit of the fat that I would like to trim off the quote are the MS CALS.  The sales rep for the engineering company I'm working with is telling my I have to have a CAL for every user connected to the server including IWP users.  I say bulls#@t -  I currently have a windows server 2003 machine with FM Server 12 Advanced hosting 7 databases with up to 10 users connected fmapp and over 400 IWP web clients (with the 100 concurrent users maxed) and I only have the Cal that came with Windows Server 2003.  No one from MS has come knocking.   There is nothing else on the Server except FM Server.  

Would this be a reason to switch to a Mac server?   Am I really in violation with MS?  What is the word out there - any advice

This topic is 4089 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.