Conditional Drop Boxes

APost

This topic is 6579 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Forgive me, I haven't been under the hood since version 6.

I've a database of crew members, say three fields, type (clients, staff, or contract) Positions (what possition will they hold as a client, staff or contract person) and name. I want to be able to create a list of everyone associated with a particular job in a portal. The first drop box is easy, list the values in the type field of the Crew table.

What I haven't figured out is how to limit the options presented in the next drop box to list only positions appropriate to the selection made in the first drop box.

Then the 3rd will present only people who are say contract / Assistants or Contract / Stylist

As a simple person I know this is simple, any pointers?

The way to do this is through the realtionships.

I will use a item choosing file as an example.

Start with your first value list (I used item category).

Next, make the second value list (for me , item). This needs to be related to the first field for this to work (category in the items table, etc). In the define value lists area, check the bottom left botton for "only related values", then pick the relationship to filter through.

I used different tables for each of these (item category, then items, etc.), and had them directly linked to one another.

You may be able to do self-relationships within a table instead, and may have to use one to many realtionships for multiple levels.

I would say do it by levels. Get the second level working and filtering first, then try to do the third, instead of trying to do both at the same time (and therefore not being able to easily troubleshoot).

Good Luck

This topic is 6579 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.