FMP biz model outdated?

This topic is 6556 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I love FMP. But sometimes I wonder if FM Inc's reliance on selling individual copies of databases and database development tools is becoming obsolete. Every day I read about web applications (ie: Google's web based apps, salesforce.com....) replacing this distribution method of individual copies of software...A method that FM Inc. continues to push. So while we're all trying to learn all about developing databases in fm and then hosting those db's in a server environment where the clients all need a copy of fm in order to utilize the system, leaner companies are developing web based apps where only a browser is needed. It seems that FM should put a lot of resources into IWP! Allow us to build in FMP and let FMP handle all the rendering for the browser yet maintain the power of what FM app can do in the background. It seems to me that IWP and a powerful and streamlined way of sharing fmp based applications is the future of FMP and its developers. Lose the IWP limits and limitations and put some serios weight behind it!

or look at the products Adobe formerly Macromedia has in its product line. They see the problems with traditional server/client database interaction and web deployment and are putting lots of resources on the front end whereas FMP seems to push the back end.

• 1 month later...

I actually like the idea of a ‘lite’ client that only reads and writes data from file hosted by a FM server for most 'client' needs.

Users currently ‘have to’ purchase a FM client license for each workstation, that actually enables them to build most functions in files, when they only use the software on that workstation to just 'read and write' data from an existing ‘hosted’ database.

Honestly, anyone who develops the databases is using the one copy of FM Advanced at that site, aren’t they . . .

Browsers 'client' access is becoming more popular with the Web 2.0 crowd, and FileMaker would need to play some ‘catch up’ to enable FileMaker Server to publish files with the same feature set of Ajax and alike.

Let’s not forget that the ‘programming’ experience needed for FileMaker is no where near that of Ajax developers . . .

mav.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.